The Hummingbirds are smallest birds
related to the Americas. And constituting
the biological family Trochilidae. They are known as hummingbirds because of the humming sound created by their beating wings, which flap at highf audible to humans,they hover in mid-air.
Their Biological Classifications are :
Family: Trochilidae Vigors
Do you know :
- Hummingbirds eat nectar for the most part, although they may catch an insect now and then for a protein boost.
- There are 320 different species ofh found throughout theA The smallest of all is the tiny bee hummingbird, Mellisuga helenae.
- They can hover in mid-air by rapidly flapping their wings 12-90 times pers
- Male hummingbirds are reported to achieved speeds of almost 400 body lengths per second when swooping in an effort to impress females.
- They have feet so tiny that they cannot walk on the ground, and find it awkward to shuffle along a perch.
- The hummingbird needs to eat twice its bodyweight in food every day, and to do so they must visit hundreds of flowers daily.
- They can fly backwards and are the only group of birds able to do so.
- Before migrating, the hummingbirds layer of fat equal to half its bodyweight.
- They can fly at speeds exceeding 15 m/s or 54 km/h.